With a history stretching back over one hundred and twenty years, Dublin Institute of Technology has been recognised as a pioneer in technological higher education: the Institute's alumni have played important roles in technical and scientific innovation, economic and social development and culture and education both in Ireland and internationally. DIT nurtures innovation and creativity across and between disciplines and has always been committed to making education accessible to people from diverse backgrounds.
The Dublin Institute of Technology was established as an autonomous institution under the DIT Act in 1992, but its origins go back to 1887 and the establishment of technical education in Ireland. The DIT Act 1992 provided for the formation of the Dublin Institute of Technology by bringing together six colleges of higher education formerly under the City of Dublin Vocational Educational Committee. These were: * College of Technology, Kevin Street - founded in 1887 * College of Music, Chatham Row - founded in 1890 * College of Commerce, Rathmines - founded 1901 * College of Marketing and Design, Mountjoy Square - founded in 1905 * College of Technology, Bolton Streeet - founded in 1911 * College of Catering, Cathal Brugha Street - founded in 1941 These colleges had provided much-needed education services, pioneering technician and technologist training and education, both to meet the needs of industry and to develop the students individual potential.By 1992, these colleges were recognised as centres of excellence in their areas of specialism. In 2019 the Dublin Institute of Technology achieved university status and merged with two other institutes of Technology namely the Institute of Technology Tallaght and the Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown. Renamed the Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin) it is now the largest third-level institution in Ireland and continues to respond to the social, cultural and educational needs of Ireland in the 21st century.